The Society Of 19th Century Living
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rendezvous, Encampments, Primitive Living Life Styles.

You are not connected. Please login or register

GRRW/GRRW.CA H.E. Leman Trade Rifle.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1GRRW/GRRW.CA H.E. Leman Trade Rifle. Empty GRRW/GRRW.CA H.E. Leman Trade Rifle. Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:10 pm

Buck Conner

Buck Conner

GRRW/GRRW.CA

My first GRRW Leman was purchased for $325 new (dealer’s cost) sold at the shop price my mistake (that’s a long story). That rifle was purchased in 1975 and turned out to be one of the best shooting rifles I have ever had (modern or muzzleloader). I still kick myself for selling it in the early 80’s, when you deal in such items it’s hard to keep anything if there is money to be made.

Keeping that in mind Ron Paull (former gunsmith for GRRW) and myself were talking about how much fun it would be to get GRRW up and running again after 40 years. This was in Dec. 2016, with a few phone calls, a Mission Statement and slight name change GRRW Collectors Association [GRRW.CA] opened it’s door Jan 2017 with it’s first order and that was…

The first order an H.E. Leman built by GRRW Collectors Association {GRRW.CA] by Carl Walker when opening up for business. I purchased this rifle and a collector from Billings MT just couldn’t live without it, so it was sold - like said ”it’s hard to keep anything if there is money to be made.”

I could understand this as my first GRRW [40 years before] was the same model just a different caliber. I told myself the next available gunsmith had my order for the same gun, here comes Les Bennett and my order was filled. Les lived up to his old trade making this Leman, an unusual build being life as an original GRRW Leman Trade Rifle (kit) – unassembled for 40 years, has the good jugged choked barrel, Phil Sander’s castings (butt plate and trigger guard cast from an original Leman). This is truly a special rifle with all the right stuff, it will be a very nice collector piece.

It’s hard to believe how these GRRW and GRRW.CA guns are becoming collector pieces in such a short time. Everyone looking for low serial numbered gun, in good condition. It only took 50 years for muzzleloaders to realize what they have is going to be valuable. A $500 dollar gun back in the early 70’s is now worth $1,800 - $2,000 dollars, not a bad investment by today’s standards.

I have contacted Jonathan Kozlo of “Buckskins & Black Powder” webmaster, writer, and gun builder to do some minor work on this rifle.

I had him perform his services of “coning the muzzles”, treating the bores (polishing) and applying a new finish on two other guns, one a GRRW.CA Hawken rifle the other a GRRW.CA NW Trade Gun smoothbore, sight them in.

The J&S Hawken flintlock fullstock rifle by Carl Walker, the other a H.E. Leman NW Trade Gun by Doc White (beautiful guns).

He will do the same service to this rifle then sight it in to see how it lives up to it’s famous “Jugged Choke Barrel status” of old.

GRRW/GRRW.CA H.E. Leman Trade Rifle. Les_210

GRRW/GRRW.CA H.E. Leman Trade Rifle. Huntin12

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum