The Society Of 19th Century Living
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rendezvous, Encampments, Primitive Living Life Styles.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Answering the question "Tell us who you are"...

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

John Perry

John Perry

My name is John Perry, I have been involved in living history since May 1972. It all began when hired by the National Park Service now referred to as The National Historic Site. A small group of us right out of college were picked to over see the construction of this historic landmark in La Junta, CO.

Bent's Old Fort
Bent's Old Fort is an 1833 fort located in Otero County in southeastern Colorado, United States. A company owned by Charles Bent and William Bent and Ceran St. Vrain built the fort to trade with Southern Cheyenne and Arapaho Plains Indians and trappers for buffalo robes.

Bent's Old Fort National Historic Site preserves the resources associated with the Bent–St. Vrain trading empire, which radiated from Bent's Old Fort into what is now Texas, New Mexico, Kansas, Nebraska, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, and Missouri. The fort solidified one of the most important and last established trading cartels in the Rocky Mountain West.

William and Charles Bent, along with Ceran St. Vrain, built the original adobe fort on this site in 1833 to trade with Plains Indians and trappers. The fort quickly became the center of the expanding holdings of Bent, St. Vrain & Company, including Fort St. Vrain to the north and Fort Adobe to the south, along with company stores in Taos and Santa Fe. The primary trade was with the Southern Cheyenne and Arapaho Indians for buffalo robes.

For much of its 16-year history, the fort was the only major permanent white settlement on the Santa Fe Trail between Missouri and the Mexican settlements. The fort provided explorers, adventurers, and the U.S. Army a place to get needed supplies, wagon repairs, livestock, good food, water and company, rest and protection in this vast "Great American Desert." During the war with Mexico in 1846, the fort became a staging area for Colonel Stephen Watts Kearny's "Army of the West." Disasters and disease caused the fort's abandonment in 1849.

Bent's Old Fort was an important point of commercial, social, military, and cultural contact between Anglo-American, Native American, Hispanic, and other groups on the border of United States Territory. The fort served as a point of exchange for trappers from the southern Rocky Mountains, travelers from Missouri and the east, Hispanic traders from Mexico, and Native Americans, primarily from the Cheyenne, Arapaho, Comanche, and Kiowa Tribes.

Today, Bent’s Old Fort National Historic Site features a reconstructed version of the 1840s adobe trading post. Archeological excavations and original sketches, paintings, and diaries were used to replicate the features of the fort, which was reconstructed during the country’s bicentennial and Colorado’s centennial in 1976. The architecturally accurate, reconstructed fort and its historic setting allow visitors to “step back” in time to learn about and reflect on the westward expansion of the United States.

This life style seems to grow on a person and the next thing you know half a century has passed and your still living and dreaming of the hay days  of 1840 and 1850.

Answering the question "Tell us who you are"... Beaver10

Uffda likes this post

Hiverano

Hiverano

Answering the question "Tell us who you are"... Usefor20

Thank you for the article John, was wanting to do one on Bent's just haven't had the time. Good to see you here ...

Answering the question "Tell us who you are"... May_be15

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumotion.com

John Perry

John Perry

Hey guys may I tell you about the owner of this website. I have known Mr. Conner from the old days of hunting on his Grandfather's farm near Penn State Pennsylvania. Now that's like 55 plus years ago roughly counting.

I read his articles he has written several times, looking for something he may say as not being correct (thing we do to each other, keeps both of us honest).  Anyway guys Mr. Conner has had several different names over the years (some good and some not so good).  Believe me he's a survivor through the good and bad in PA, sometimes it was harder than they should have been but that's another story.

Barry "Buck" Conner is the real deal, he has done a lot of different things, held several championships in racing, shooting, along with being praised for his writings and research efforts. You'll see some guys talk the talk but can't walk the walk like Buck does.

I'll probably catch hell for writing this, felt it needed to be said as I get asked about all the stuff we have done together and by ourselves. I could go on for hours about what we have seen as I'm sure you folks have some interesting stories too.

Thank you for your time.

Answering the question "Tell us who you are"... Beaver11

Uffda likes this post

Uffda

Uffda

Nothing better to keep oneselfes bones warm than a good buffelr robe on the prairie.

Hiverano

Hiverano

John is an old friend, hunting mate and general good guy when one is needed, just like Uffda and a few others.

I wish John would have kept his remarks about me to himself and not to the world ...  "One can experience many things when all efforts of interest are self-centered on oneself" Thomas Paine. That's what several of my ex-wives have probably thought .... the disadvantages of doing what you want can be costly ...

Answering the question "Tell us who you are"... Camp_b15

https://sitting-fox-agency.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum